Festival-goer, 23, killed himself after being separated from relatives at Radio 1‘s Big Weekend

Festival-goer, 23, killed himself after becoming separated from relatives on way home from Radio 1‘s Big Weekend, inquest hears

A festival-goer, 23, killed himself after becoming separated from relatives on the way home from Radio 1‘s Big Weekend, an inquest has revealed.

Isaac Powner jumped from a bridge on the A174 after leaving the festival in Stewart Park in Middlesbrough on May 25, Teeside Coroner‘s Court heard yesterday.  

He was seen walking towards PC Matthew Kenning, who was stationed on Stokesley Road near the former Marton Country Club, where the road crosses over the A174 around 9.25pm, the inquest heard.  

Isaac‘s body ‘laid on the ground‘ on the dual carriageway, around a mile from the festival site, according to PC Kenning.  

James Hardman, cousin of the NHS Trust worker, said he ‘seemed fine‘ as they headed for breakfast at the Toby Carvery on Marton Road before the Big Weekend.   

They watched performances in a packed yellow tent before Mr Powner got separated.

Stepsister Gemma Braithwaite said Isaac had been excited to watch Miley Cyrus headline the festival that night, as he was a big fan. 

Gemma Braithwaite said stepbrother Isaac Powner (both pictured) sent a message to a family WhatsApp group on Saturday night

But the slow 4G network meant there was a delay in receiving messages and Mr Hardman was unable to find his cousin in the park. 

Gemma, 33, who was not at the festival, said the family was in shock at his death because he ‘had a great time‘ at the event. 

‘At 7.20pm he sent a message saying he was waiting by the waltzers. His cousin James, who was like a brother to him, went to look for him but couldn‘t see him.

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.

‘Then there was no communication until the message [at 9.27pm].‘ 

He claimed the few pints Isaac drank ‘would not affect him‘ due to his tall height.

A family statement by Isaac‘s sister Robyn Powner, mum Suzie Henderson-Thynne and girlfriend Bethany Golden showed they had experienced difficulties in trying to meet up with him.  

Mr Powner lived with his mother Suzie Henderson-Thynne in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough.

He had previously spent time living in Benidorm with father Paul and stepmother Janet, working at his father‘s bar in the Spanish town.  

On the night of the incident, Isaac sent a text trying to find his loved ones at 7.20pm, around two hours before his death, the reported.

The family‘s statement went on to say: ‘We think something must have happened in those last two hours to make him do what he did.‘

They described Isaac as ‘very funny, kind, considerate and a loving man‘.

‘He was very close and loved by all his family. He was well liked by all his friend and collegues.‘

He was due to go back to the festival with his girlfriend Bethany Golden on the Sunday. The pair, who had been together for more than a year, had also just booked a holiday together for 2020.  

His father Mr Powner has since flown back to Teesside from Spain following the news to identify his son‘s body.  

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this article then you can call the Samaritans on 116 123, alternatively you can visit the website by clicking .            


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *